Over the course of your lifetime, your weight may go up, and down. It can happen for any number of reasons—hormonal and metabolic shifts, pregnancy, medical conditions, medications, changes in activity level, even stress. But maintaining a healthy weight can have an amazingly positive effect on your life. Diet, nutrition, sleep, exercise, and even stress can all play into your health and well-being. Whether you’re overweight, underweight or at your optimal BMI, not fueling your body with the right nutrients can have a negative impact on your overall health. Nutrition can play an incredible role in conditions such as prediabetes, diabetes, insulin resistance, food allergies, cardiovascular diseases and PCOS. Guided by your medical history, we will customize a weight loss program just for you. You’ll get the knowledge and tools you need to develop lifestyle changes to help you reach a healthy weight and stay there.
• Your first step in your weight and wellness journey will include an appointment for a thorough medical assessment with a physician or nurse practitioner.
• Then, you’ll see one of our registered dietitians to get a complete understanding of your dietary needs and challenges.
• At the conclusion of this consultation, your provider will join you to formulate your personalized weight and wellness plan.
• Plans include dietary recommendations, lifestyle and exercise recommendations as well as weight-loss medications—if needed.
• Typically, patients return monthly for assessments. However, you may be asked to return more—or less—frequently depending on your personal needs and preferences.
• Referrals are not required. Weight loss treatment typically is covered by most insurance carriers.
The Virginia Women’s Center Weight & Wellness Team
Peter Wilbanks, M.D., Board certified in obstetrics & gynecology as well as obesity management.
Karen Jefferson, M.D., Board certified in obstetrics & gynecology as well as obesity management.
Kelly Yeong, WHNP, Board certified women’s health nurse practitioner with an additional certification in advanced obesity medicine with the Obesity Medicine Society.
Sarah Johnson, Registered Dietitian
Val Pulley, Registered Dietitian
Lisa Cuseo-Ott, PhD, Licensed Clinical Therapist
Mary Elise Polce, PhD, Licensed Clinical Therapist